Confessions of a party hostel | Thailand

WARNING – not for the faint hearted. Also don’t read whilst eating your dinner.

Have you ever woken up to find someone has pissed a small lake right by your bed?

I can imagine the answer is no. LUCKY ME that exact thing happened on like my third night at my hostel in Bangkok.

You have to know what you’re signing up for if you hit a party hostel. I’m talking shots on arrival (before you’ve even taken your bag to your bed), bar crawls, drinking games, loud music, crazy dancing, amazing people and of course some wild stories. I had planned to stay at Slumber Party Hostel in Bangkok for about 4/5 days, ended up there for 8 days haha. I didn’t hit it hard every night, cos boy it was taking it’s toll on me but I witnessed some hilarious situations, met some characters and spent all my money on Leo beer and snacks from 711.

Khao san Road with a bucket drink

Here’s the highlights:

The fun stuff

Bar crawls every other night, fellow guests downing beers at 11am, plenty of drinking games and a pre night out shot round around the hostel; there was literally no place to hide. The pre bar crawl drinking games were in full swing as I arrived at 9.30pm on my first night, “fresh” off the plane (haha aka not slept properly for 15 hours, and having ran through Dubai airport at one point).I was given a welcome cocktail and encouraged to join the bar crawl. One shower and a bucket of drink later I was wizzing through the night in a tuk tuk with some new found friends and my name in marker pen down the side of my arm. Khao San Road – Bangkok’s party strip. If you’ve been to Europe for a “party” holiday, we’re talking cheap drinks, locals trying to offer you a deal, bracelets with weird phrases on, street food, dancing on the tables and a lot of people just having a bloody good time. Be prepared to for a sensory overload, new found drunken friends and potentially a snog if you’re into that kinda thing.

The sex stuff

What a nice segway into the SEX stuff. I mean, really what else can you expect. You give a load of 18 – 35 year olds some booze and show them a great time, there’s BOUND to be some snogging and sexy time. There’s rules though (at my hostel at least), no sex in the dorms. So if you’re really game for getting it on, you either risk the 1500 Baht fine (about £50 for “stained sheets”) or have to take to the shower which is actually pretty hygienic really. Not everyone abides by these rules, so earplugs are a must. With the range of roommates I had in my dorm over 8 days (this is a lot, I was there for a LONG time), there’s likely to be a few bangs going on that you probably don’t want to hear. Alternatively, with rules being abided by, I was lucky enough to brush my teeth to the sound of some shower-goers having a good old time in the bathroom next door. Go get it guys.

The grim stuff

With drinks on the daily there’s bound to be a few disasters along the way too (not just a bunch of lucky people getting laid hahah) – cue my opener to this post, the pee. I woke up blurry eyed at 2am to find this unfortunate incident right next to my bed. I vowed to have a go at the piss perpetrator as soon as I saw him the following day (as did the rest of my angry dorm room). As he came downstairs in the morning and I shouted “you’re the guy that pissed right by my bed”, his look of genuine shock and panic threw me off totally. I forgave him instantly, and we had a good laugh about it (I can’t hold a grudge to save my life). In other gross stories, one dorm mate learned never to trust an Asian fart, and ended up in an unfortunate situation whereby she had to hand wash her sheet in the shower (I mean I laughed a lot at her when she told me, and after that night she mysteriously disappeared).

All sound hideous and unappealing to you? All part of the fun, but I guess not really for everyone haha. Let’s see what the rest of my hostels bring over the next few months – I’ve had a heavy start to hostel life that’s for sure! Do you have any horrible hostel stories?

Party Hostel - Khao San Road with Trae and James

6 Comments

1. Aisling
    January 23, 2019 / 10:19 am

This is literally my experience in Antigua in Guatemala! Someone had sex in the bunk below me and I someone peed in our shower because the loo was occupied! Never a dull moment! Loved this post.

• Sarah
      Author
      January 23, 2019 / 5:16 pm

Hahah never ever dull. Keeps you on your toes 😂

2. Pruie
    January 23, 2019 / 11:06 am

Oh good old slumber party hostel!! was awesome meeting you there had a blast on beer pong night! Enjoy the rest of your travels sweetie x

• Sarah
      Author
      January 23, 2019 / 5:16 pm

Hahah so fun isn’t it! You too girl x

3. Aimee
    March 10, 2019 / 8:25 am

Love the honesty!

4. Kristina
    January 15, 2020 / 4:36 am

Hi,
    Yeah The sex part is gross,  I have my own share  to tell. Travelled as a group of three girls one guy the hostel where we stayed in had a group of Indian male travellers (I am not being racist or biased when I use the word Indian because I have a few indian friends in Russia)and unfortunately a few were in our mixed dorm.
    What I noticed was that in the bar they were trying real hard to hook up with white females, where we stayed the hostel was game for naked pong and also free shots were given to fully naked men and topless women many of the guys were playing pong and the odd female now and then (all white guys not the Asian or Indian ones lol) .
    I seen these Indian guys trying real hard with all the females there especially for the three or four females who played pong and showed some of their goods. Long story short it wasn’t long until they approached us we just said hi and introduced ourselves and kept our distance from them.
    One of my friends wanted to use the restroom and asked me to go with her and then we went into the dorm to get something after that, little did I think these guys would follow us. Two of them came into the dorm and started talking about sex and suddenly asked us if we wanted to have sex we had to rush out of the dorm after telling them a firm no.
    Later at about 04:00 am I woke up to find one of the indian guys looking at my sleeping friend on the bunk below me and masturbating I yelled at him he just ran out of the dorm. We wanted to let the establishment know the next day but by then they checked out. After that some other girls in the other dorm told me that they too were approached by these guys asking them for sex, all the girls told them to fuck themselves everyone seemed happy when they left.
    I was wondering If the Asian creep you mentioned was an Indian and did he have s** with the girl next to you or had he masturbated on her bed, we did see some stains on the bed sheet of my other friends bed too I suppose one of those indian guys masturbated looking at her while she was sleep  and then emptied himself on her bed she  had to ask the management  for a fresh bedsheet luckily they obliged.
    Went to another hostel were pool parties are organised thrice a week there to an Indian guy grabbed my butt he was standing in the poor right behind me the moment I turned to look he pretended to be swimming and apologized by saying while swimming he accidentally touched me. What’s it with these Indian guys??
    Most gross part was next day an European couple were making out in the bathroom and I had to chose that bathroom to have a shower as all the others were occupied, disgusting to even say it the bathroom water outlet was clogged and there was p*** and mucous floating in the stagnated water looks like the girl was taking in up her @***.
    I’ve heard a lot of stories from fellow travelers in the hostels one girl told me she was approached by a Thai guy barman who said he’ll give her free drinks and food as long as she stays there in return for sexual favours, another thing was many Indian guys keep carrying around cameras saying they are YouTubers it was okay with me as long as they didn’t bring it into the dorm but some girls really felt they are too intrusive.

P.s.Hope you understand my English I’m not a native speaker I’m a mix of Russian and English and lived all along in Russia but learned the English language when I was in the u.k..